Hands up who’s worked way too far into their lunch break and ended up ravenous with nothing quick to eat at hand? I feel you, I’ve done that so many times now that I’ve just ended up eating a bag of Spinach for something to cure the pangs whilst I try to make something edible – not that I’m complaining, I do enjoy my sneaky spinach snacks.
When you need something quick, it’s super easy to go for a bag of crisps, toast, or something else that may not be as nutritious but helps curb those hungry feelings ASAP, but I’m here to inspire your lunchtime habits with three of my favourite healthy meals that all take under 15 minutes to prepare (although one is a cheat, but we’ll let that slide, right?) Get your shopping list at the ready, you’re going to be whipping these up in no time…
1. Spicy Smashed Avocado and Houmous on Rye Bread
Ingredients: Rye Bread | Houmous | 1 Avocado | Cucumber | Spinach | Chilli Sauce
Definitely one of my favourite quick meals, it’s so filling and tastes incredible which is no surprise as 5 days of the week I’m whipping this on my lunch break. It’s super easy to make, taking under 5 minutes to assemble and equally devour before leaving you fully satisfied (and hey, you could even make a second one if you’re feeling crazy!)
1. Toast your rye bread until crunchy and radiating a lovely nutty smell, leaving you to chop up your cucumber and avocado as you wait.
2. Spread the houmous on the bread, and smash the avocado on top with a fork until smooth. Drizzle on the chilli sauce and top with spinach and cucumber!
Simple and quick, with a delightful kick! You can add tomatoes for extra flavour, even olives or maybe if you feel crazy some spring onions – I know, restrain yourself Lauren! One recipe that will never fail you, and keep you going until the end of the day.
2. Mushroom and Pepper Stir-Fry with Sumac
Ingredients: Cup of Frozen Vegetables including Peppers | 2-3 Mushrooms | Ready Made Quinoa | Sumac Spice (or another sweet spice of choice) | 2 Medium Carrots | Handful of Spinach
If you have a 10 minutes to whip up something quick, then I would suggest this delicious stir-fry. This is the perfect time for frozen veg to have it’s moment, as you can throw in some pre-chopped peppers and vegetables with a pack of protein and flavour! Also, I’m super happy to have found ready-made quinoa which saves loads of time and really encourages you to eat a better meal – thumbs up for healthy quickness!
1. Add a small drop of oil to a frying pan and add in the chopped frozen veg and mushrooms. Keep the lid on with a medium heat until cooked through.
2. When the veg is nearly ready, stir in the pre-made quinoa, spice, shavings of carrot (use a peeler for this) and spinach. Serve when everything is softened and smells incredible!
Delicious hot food in less than 10 minutes? That’s fast food I can get on board with!
3. Roasted Butternut Squash + Quinoa Salad
Ingredients: Leftover Roasted Veg – Sweet Potato, Carrots, Butternut Squash | Ready Made Quinoa | Artichokes | Spring Onions | Cucumber | Lemon Juice | Olive Oil Optional Parsley, Tomatoes, Pommegranate Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds
Okay, okaaaaay, so technically this is cheating a bit with the already roasted veg, however if you prep ahead at dinnertime you can sideline a bit of roasted veg or sweet potato fries to pop in your lunch the next day – genius, also delicious!
1. Drizzle 1 Tsp of Oil and Lemon Juice in a bowl with optional herbs, and add the diced onions to soak up the flavour. Stir in the quinoa to add moisture and combine in any additional ingredients leaving out the veg.
2. Chop up the veg and stir through, topping with some pumpkin seeds or fresh herbs before diving in.
A seriously great bowl of goodness that you can experiment with flavour wise – I love to add honey, pomegranate seeds, grated carrots, halloumi, chickpeas, and in the summertime there’s nothing better than a fresh substantial salad to fill your tastebuds with flavour. Next time you’re making Sweet Potato fries, chop a few extra to enjoy for lunch tomorrow – you’re future self will thank you.
3 healthy meals in under 15 minutes, need I say more? Say bye bye to toast and meal deals, these recipes are guaranteed to leave you feeling satisfied and provide you will so many essential nutrients to keep you spritely all day long until it’s time to crawl into your pjs and make something equally delicious for dinner without diving into the bag of spinach – the life of a foodie, forever wondering where the next meal is coming from….
Do you like the sound of quick healthy meals? What is your go-to quick meal? How do you deal with working into lunch and feeling hungry?
Lots of Love,
Some products in this post may have been sent for review or gifted, and will be marked with a * or c/o. All opinions are mine are not influenced by brands or companies. Please see my full disclaimer for more.