| a healthy cleansing cake, perfect for 4th July ! |
Helloooo everyone !
I’ve really got into my alkaline eating after finally getting my paws on the Honestly Healthy recipe book; it’s super informative on what foods keep you balanced and feeling clean, and you can make loads of yummy desserts too.
One of the recipes that caught my eye was this delicious Lemon and Poppy Seed Almond Cake, make with all natural ingredients that are good for the body. I have made it dairy free with flax-eggs, and used agave nectar mixed with honey, but it’s still very yummy and delicious – I’m amazed at how me can make flour and egg replacements from such natural goodies !
4 eggs (if using flax-eggs, use 2 Tbsp of water to every Tbsp of flax/linseed. You will need 4 Tbsp of Flax total)
60g Honey | 200g Vegan Butter | 250g Ground Almonds | 1Tsp Baking Powder | Zest and Juice of Two Large Lemons | 2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160C. Mix together the flax eggs, and whisk eggs with the honey/syrup.
2. Mix the ground almonds and butter together in a separate bowl, until a dough has formed.
3. Slowly add the eggs until smooth, then add the baking powder and lemon zest + juice, thoroughly mixing.
4. Stir in the poppy seeds and make sure they are evenly distributed, and get ready to bake !
5. In a buttered and grease-proof papered tin, pour in the mixture until level. Bake for 30 minutes in a good oven, 40-45 if it’s getting on a bit
6. Once a knife has come out clean, remove and allow to cool. If there’s oiliness try to blot it away ! I really recommend you put the base in the fridge overnight to firm up as it cuts better and tastes even better too.
7. YAY ! As it’s Independence Day, I topped mine with Desiccated Coconut, Blueberries and Strawberries for the American flag. It actually makes it taste extra awesome too.
After cooking this, I would give you some notes :
1) Naturally as it’s ground almonds, the cake is quite oily. You can either half the amount of almonds used and add rice/coconut flour to soak up some moisture.
2) You need fruit with this as it can feel quite almondy on the mouth
3) You will only be able to eat a small piece of this at a time = small portions = healthy choice for weight loss. Result.
4) As it’s alkaline, it will helps cleanse your system – woooo !
5) If after 30 minutes it still looks runny, keep it in the oven for up to 15 minutes extra as it needs to be as fluffy and dry as possible.
6) I have said it before but, letting this firm up in the fridge overnight is the best. It will be easier to cut and more ‘solid’, and tastes better actually so thumbs up all round.
This cake does taste really good, although I would have used less almonds as stated. I felt done after a small slice so if you want a little treat then make this, and then force it on all your friends. You can get it off your hands quicker by telling them all the benefits it contains – cleansing, natural, healthy, high in nutrients, fills you up etc.
I would really recommend the alkaline diet for a detox as it’s easier than a juice cleanse, and you do feel the benefits. You can find the book here.
Would you make this cake ? Are you a fan of almonds (i’m a NUT case for them !)
Lots of Love,