HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !
I hope you’ve all had a lovely Christmas and had a cracking New Year’s – now you’re nursing a hangover and hungry, or you are actually okay and want a nice healthy new year health kick treat (if you can have a health kick treat, which you can)
This recipe is also perfect if you are not quite ready to let go of the festive season, is quick and easy, and tastes amazing.
To make a 50g serving :
– Popcorn (50g obvs)
– Coconut oil
This is much healthier than normal oil and especially vegetable oil. You can buy this cheap at Sainsbury’s.
– Agave Nectar
– Cinnamon Powder (somehow I didn’t photograph it)
– Nutmeg Powder
– Mild Chili Powder
– Cayenne Powder
I used a Vanilla infused Caster Sugar, but you can use what ever you have available.
– Put your oven hob on the highest heat setting, and melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
– When fully melted, pour in the popcorn kernels. Put the lid straight on, and allow to heat through for a few minutes before they pop.
– Whilst you wait, weigh out 15-25g of sugar (it really depends how much sweet you want, it is meant to be more of a healthy snack but it is up to your taste preference) in the mixing/serving bowl. Squeeze a swirl of agave nectar into the bowl (just one swirl, agave can be used up quick and you need it really for a little sweet and stickiness)
– Pour in a 1-2 teaspoons of Cinnamon powder, 1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg, 1/2 – 3/4 of a teaspoon of both cayenne pepper and chili powder. Depending how spicy you want it and how much spice you can take, this varies, this is simply a guide for you 🙂
– By now the popcorn should start to pop. Turn the heat off, hold the lid on firmly and push the pan back and forth over the hob to shake the kernels, allowing them to pop.
– When the kernels have stopped popping pour them into the mixing bowl and start to coat with the sugar/spice mix. Whilst you do this, add some extra coconut oil into the pan and melt. This add as extra coating agent to make the spice stick more.
– When melted, pour over the popcorn and stir from the bottom up to cover all the kernels. If you like, take out half, coat the remaining half fully and then add the rest back in.
Now you should have a nice big bowl of spicy/sweet popcorn; it’s not too overpowering, a nice treat for the movies you can watch on your hangover or relaxing day. Plus it is healthy !
So share out – or not, I didn’t. I devoured it all in twenty minutes – and enjoy !
See you soon for more
Lots of Love,